If you recently divorced from your spouse and a child custody order was established that gave you parenting time and your child’s other parent custody, both parents are required to obey the guidelines set forth in the order. A parent who is awarded custody “is a parent who has the child living with him or her and has primary care, custody, and responsibility for the child” [Source: Michigan Department of Health & Human Services]. A parent who is awarded parenting time is considered the non-custodial parent, and they do not have the child living with him or her most of the time.



Now, if you were awarded parenting time yet your child’s custodial parent is not following the order the court has approved, there are a few ways you can address the situation as he/she is obligated to follow it.


  1. The first recommendation that we can give is to contact Lansing, MI child custody attorney Stuart E. Shafer who will provide you with the assistance you need to enforce the court order. Dealing with the court directly is never easy and you’re bound to run into some complications. Rather than have to figure out on your own what documents you must file along with where to file them at, you could let our office handle it for you so that you are able to focus your attention on all the other tasks you must get accomplished.


  1. The second option you have is to contact the Friend of the Court and request that they enforce the parenting time order. When a complaint is filed with the Friend of the Court, it is required to enforce this order. The Friend of the Court for Ingham County is located at:


303 W. Kalamazoo St., 1st Floor of the Grady Porter Building
Lansing, MI  48901

Telephone: 517-483-6103


  1. You can file a motion, preferably with the help of a child custody attorney in Lansing, MI, with the court to enforce the parenting time order.


What if I am not happy with the current parenting time order that was established?


Can I request that it be modified?


If you are displeased with the current parenting time order that has already been established or continue to have issues with your child’s custodial parent as they aren’t complying with the terms of the court order, the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. is here to help you. We offer our legal expertise to those residing in Lansing, East Lansing, DeWitt, St. Johns, Charlotte, Okemos, and Grand Ledge. Whether you need assistance with enforcing a child custody order, wish to have your current order modified, or are dealing with another custody-related issue, MI child custody attorney Stuart R. Shafer is prepared to assist you with getting your matter resolved.


You can reach the Law Offices of Stuart R. Shafer, P.C. at:


1223 Turner Street, #333

Lansing, MI 48906


Website: www.stushafer.com


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *